Monday, May 05, 2008

Walden - Henry David Thoreau

I read this book over the last week and here are a few excepts that got me going. This was a great book.

"But men labor under a mistake. The better part of the man is soon ploughed into the soil for compost."

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but religiously follows the new."

"He had been instructed only in that innocent and ineffectual way in which Catholic priest tech the Aborigines, by which the pupil is never educated to the degree of consciousness, but only to the degree of trust a reverence, and a child is not made a man but kept a child."

There was a million great lines in this book and after reading through it you could see why it is one of the most quotable books ever published.

4 comments:

Harley said...

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but religiously follows the new."

Ha this hadn't crossed my mind before. I'm gonna have to go out and get this book...

Anonymous said...

I should probably read this book.
I have been known to laugh at the antics of one particular religion.
(Did you manage to cut back any on drinking this past weekend? Maybe not, eh?)

Ribonuff said...

Few realize what a loner Thoreau was.
It takes a loner, or one who can work well with much time alone, to create quotes like these.

Jessica said...

I bought this book and haven't read it yet. I bought it and a couple of his other books because ever since I was a kid I loved that quote, "If a man does not keep pace with his companions perhaps it is because he hears the beat of a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."
You've inspired me to crack the spine on Walden and give it a whirl.