Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Forbidden Books #76875

My whole life have been told that capitalism is right and communism is evil. I have generally agreed with this despite never really understanding what Communism is. Well on a rainy day in Minneapolis I picked up a copy of the Communist Manifesto and sat down and read it.

I want to say that I agree with the premise that people rise to power and then create rules that keep them and their offspring in power at the expense of others. I take a personal stand that people should rise to power and wealth under their own influence and ability. That the drive to be better and have more is a good thing.

I think where this takes a wrong turn in communism is that it starts to restrict this drive for the individual instead of dealing with the real problem. It outlaws personal property...which I am against.

I think there are two fundamental things with this that agree with and that I think would make our society better as a whole.

School should be affordable so that everybody has a chance to develop potential

The inheritance tax is a good thing in stead of outlawing personal property let the people who create the wealth enjoy t and then tax it when it is passed on to others who didn't create it.

This would help prevent a class of wealthy people who are in power through no means of their own while still allowing a person to enjoy the fruits of their labor.


I also wonder how many people might rethink the topic if they read the book....if you read t closely there is a huge parable that could be made about Walmart putting all of the little merchants out of business and where that might lead us.

Well that said I am still not a communist but I am glad that I read the book.

No comments: