Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Meta Verbs

Are you really fishing if you don’t catch anything? Or at the point of catching something are you ceasing to fish and actually catching? Or maybe more importantly reeling? I supposed you reel without having to have a fish on the end though? I guess my problem with fishing might be wrapped up in you never know what they are doing? When I say biking you know what someone is doing. They are peddling around I guess this happens in golf too where you could be swinging, walking, waiting, drinking, swearing….really when you think about it golfing and fishing are meta verbs that act as an umbrella for single verbs…holy shit I think I might have just invented and entire new branch of English study. Meta verbs….I wonder if this stunning revelation can count towards my doctorate….probably not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I've often been quoted in my boat when teaching folks to fish and they miss bites "you're doing the 'fishing' part well, are you intersted in doing any 'catching'?"

The "F" word is the ulitmate meta verb, and nound, and especially adjective.

heh. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I've often been quoted in my boat when teaching folks to fish and they miss bites "you're doing the 'fishing' part well, are you intersted in doing any 'catching'?"

The "F" word is the ulitmate meta verb, and nound, and especially adjective.

heh. Great post.

Travis Erwin said...

If you lean out of the boat you are then angling.