Thursday, September 20, 2007

Running

I remember running in my first real race. I was so confident, I had always done well in competitions at my school and thought I would be the one on the commercial breaking the tape at the finish line. I was a winner.


Somewhere during the race I realized something was wrong. I was running as fast as I could and people were passing me effortlessly. Soon I was in the bottom 25% watching the mass ahead of me enlarge their difference. I remember the despair I felt in that moment, the humiliation. I had tears streaming down my face masked by the sweat, wondering how my champion image could be so wrong.

If this was a made for TV movie this is where I would tell you how hard I trained for the next one, the struggle to best my opponents, obstacles overcome, my mentor shouting to keep going and try harder.

But my life is not a made for TV movie and I never raced again.

6 comments:

the Book of Keira said...

Choose your battles, friend. I know I should tell you not to give up so easily but I don't want to.

Michelle's Spell said...

I hear you on this one! I ran a few 5Ks, but man, not my thing. I do love a good movie about it, though, like Prefontaine.

Ma said...

what the?! when did you run a race? I'll race ya to the roller rink 2nite sucka!! don't throw your running shoes away quite yet, pretty soon that lil darlin of yrs is going to be runnin around and you'll have to catch up - maybe even pass her up a few times.... keep her out of harms way

Brianinmpls said...

That sounds so fun I haven't done that in ages now i wish I didn't have class tonight:(

Maggie Moo said...

I'm having tacos for dinner tonight. You should come over and we can make sweet...tacos together.

Then you're heart will be racing, and really, that's the best kind of race there is. ;)

Cheri said...

My "running" consists of me sprint walking a few blocks while maybe jogging or walking the rest of the way. Listening to angry music makes me work harder but really, I hate it.