Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A Debt to Our Nation and Our Job as Citizens

Where Does The Money Go? Your Guided Tour Through the Federal Budget Crisis, by Scott Bittle and Jean Johnson.

It is targeted at a layman audience and is the best book I have read to date on the financial state of our nation.

This is a book that everyone needs to read for the following reasons.

1.) If you are under 40 you are going to get fucked in your life time. Baby boomers are going to keep things the way they are and you are going to see another 15-30% of your income sucked away to cover for them while we see services cut and programs terminated

2.) You can make a difference not just in the voting way. You hear everyone say my vote counts for so little but if you look at it from another way only 1% of American people give money to a campaign and 2-3% get involved in campaign going to rallies etc. by taking a few small steps you can be in a candidates inner circle and ask and communicate these issues to them.

3.) You can become more bi-partisan in your thought. Bi-partisanship is the only thing that is going to save this country. It gives all politicians a pass to push through legislation that might not be popular but is in the best interest of the nation. If both party's do it both their necks are on the line and they can't point fingers come next election time.

I would encourage everyone I know to read it...

3 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

You're not the first one to tell me about this book....

I should probly get off my duff and check it out.

Rocketstar said...

It's added to my list.

A third party for the people!

Kyra said...

I vote we just throw everyone out, and put actual human beings in office. ;)