Saturday, October 29, 2011

Occupy Wrong Street

I have been watching with interest the entire concept that has become Occupy Wall street and I struggle with what this movement actually means. I get it I mean a lot of people are pissed off. If I was out of work and had to picked up the news paper to read about bail outs, excessive compensation packages , I would be angry.

But the issue has to boil down to an outcome right. What do you want to change because of these protests? No more rich people? It seems that the protest has targeted the wrong lever. It should be going at how the system becomes corrupted in the first place. If you want to make real change – Protest for campaign reform. The rich and powerful people of this great land will continue to maintain undue influence as long as the people making the rules are dependent on them for money to get reelected. In my opinion that is the lever that is fundamentally broken and instead of occupy wall street it should be occupy lobbyist capital.

I don’t have a problem with people making lots of money with living in towering mansions while people starve. That may sound awful. But I am awful sometimes. The problem that I do have is when this money allows for the subversion of the democratic process.

I don’t blame rich people for wanting to protect the wealth I blame the people we elected to safe guard our political system with letting them do it.

I struggle to find the difference between political contributions and bribes.

PS I think the ways this is slipping into everyday talk are already way past their welcome. i.e Occupy Couch, Occupy Nap, Occupy %#^#%^ etc

No comments: